Thursday 7 February 2019

An absent globetrotter in Aarhus

Beach and Aarhus skyline
I realised today that my last post here on the Globetrotting Guitarist was two years ago! While I have been absent, much has been happening ... life changes, (another) new country and city to explore, and back into education as a student rather than a teacher. My last year in Groningen went by all too quickly, and after nearly five years there, it was the longest I had 'settled down' for quite some time. Naturally, the globetrotting gene kicked in after such a lengthy stay in one place, and it was time to be off again!

Uni building in autumn
Currently, I'm to be found in Denmark, milling amongst young twenty-somethings (the likes of which I used to teach), trying my hand at being a student again. So far, so good! The transition was fine overall, though it did take some getting used to. Also, my first round of exams were particularly nerve-wracking. Some aspects that I found different, if not challenging, is that everything is much more digital-based than last time I was a student (I'm practically the only one taking notes in a notebook), and there is an emphasis on group work here, which is actually quite nice when working in a collaborative way. I'm enjoying learning again.

The decision to move was a relatively easy one for multiple reasons (family, education, adventure), but I do miss the Netherlands. It was one of the few places I felt somewhat at home, despite the odd language barrier now and then, and the mad cyclists. Denmark, too, has many cyclists, but they tend to follow the rules and stick very strictly to the numerous bicycle paths. I've ventured out a few times on my Batavus, but my new city of Aarhus happens to be one of the few hilly areas...After the flats of Cambridge and the Netherlands, I was NOT prepared for hills at all. This will be my goal for the coming (hopefully warmer) months.

So, things I like about my new city: it is very close to the sea - though I have lived by the seaside before, such as when I lived in Australia, I have never lived quite so close. The beach is a 6 minute drive away (15 minutes or so on the bike, once I get going with cycling...), and it is clean and beautiful. Another favourite beach to visit is a little further out of the city, but even more beautiful as it is close to the woods and has a view of the city as well as nearby islands; here one can visit Den uendelige bro (the never-ending bridge) and Moesgaard Strand (beach).

Den uendelige bro
Moesgaard Strand
Though it is close to beautiful nature, I also like that it is a city.  Having grown up in a small town, a city is still such a novelty to me, even though I've actually been living in cities for nearly 10 years.

There are shops everywhere, some open until late, plenty of public transport, libraries like the brand new Dokk 1, music events, and lots of places to eat. Aarhus doesn't have loads of museums, but the ones it does offer are quite spectacular. A favourite that I will be sure to visit again once it is warmer is the living museum, Den Gamle By (The Old Town).


Den Gamle By
For my next post, I will provide a proper review of the city, including more of my favourite aspects, and of course, talk about the Danish concept of hygge.

2 comments:

  1. So interesting to read about your new life in Denmark! You are missed here in the Netherlands but I celebrate your new path in life! Janene

    ReplyDelete